Friday, April 11, 2008

Met Our Match


Elise and I are pretty confident individuals. There are not many things we feel we can not do. Well, we met our match with the pre-school students at AFE. There has not been a consistent pre-school teacher for over a year now which makes it difficult for the kids to learn. This year’s first graders (last years preschoolers) are still behind in learning to read because of the lack of consistency in their teachers. One of our priorities is finding a teacher who can make a long term commitment.

Until then, I thought maybe Elise and I could help the children. I was by myself the first day and that was the first mistake. I thought maybe we could learn the alphabet that our church had painted on the walls. I asked them to point out the letter their name started in. Another mistake because I could not get them to seat down the rest of school! They just went wild pointing at every letter, ripping down their previous work to show me, and just running a muck. After an hour of trying to get control, I finally was able to with the help of a God send – Tic Tacs. They wanted some of my tic tacs so I used it as collateral. I made them do the letter M and I in their notebooks. I gave up quickly and gave them extra recess. I came home totally exhausted from my endeavor. I was happy to bring Elise because I knew she would help. She laughed at my inexperience as I told her about my day. She said she would whip them in shape in no time.

The next day we came together and walked right into pre-school. The kids were unexpectedly quiet and calm. It was the calm before the storm. Elise made introduction and asked what their favorite animal was. Not only did they tell us their favorite animal, but the acted out the animal the rest of the day. Then they got in fights over their animals. Somehow we got control back. I had to step away to attend to some guest. Ten minutes later I saw all the kids running out of the classroom to the playground about 45 minutes early. I went to check on Elise. I couldn’t help but laugh because she was having just as much trouble as me. I asked why they had gone to recess so early and Elise told me they just left. After recess we tried again to teach them something but couldn’t keep their attention. Finally we used Doritos to bribe them to do work and miraculously it worked.

Elise and I have decided are gifting is not with pre-schoolers. The kids love us now and run to hug us when we arrive but we are hoping they get a full-time teacher really soon. The best part is that they can’t prounce the ‘r’ in Rey so they all call me “Ley.’ Please keep Milton, Josue, Carlos, Paola, and Joselin in your prayers. And also pray we find a good pre-school teacher.

2 comments:

k1 said...

Paola and Joselin... I remember them. Little spitfires, are they?

Just keep reminding yourself that this is good training for how to deal with Elijah in a few years.

Maybe ALL parents should be required to be kindergarten teachers at some point!!!

Kerrie said...

We are proud of you! Just think of it as crowd control with a dash of Jesus and a dash of learning. :-)