Sunday, June 1, 2008

Exposure


I have been sick the last few days from eating at the garbage dump with some of the children. I must have been exposed to bacteria that have invaded my intestines. Although I am feeling horrible now (especially since I have to travel14 hours tomorrow), I understood the cost in working in this type of environment. I am exposing myself to all sorts of germs, viruses, and bacteria which explains my recent bouts of sickness since moving here. All this exposure is eventually going to catch up with me. Although I am not saying one is above the other in the nature vs nurture argument, I strongly believe I am influenced and shaped by what I am exposed to. I am product of what I have been exposed to. This truth works for both good and bad.


I wonder about these hundreds of children who are exposed to all sorts of evil at the garbage dump. How is that evil affecting them? The children and young adults of who live and work in the garbage dump are exposed to things that no one should ever see. The other day I went up and saw a dead body. Without being to graphic, the person had been killed by both a machete and gun. All the kids I knew were surrounding the body. Afterwards they told me about the body as if it was the norm, with no sense of tragedy. This is their world. This is what they see all the time. But this is also the world God loves so much he sent his Son to save. Somehow, we have to get more of the children out of the garbage dump. That exposure is vexing their souls. We need to expose them to God’s love and to so many of the positive this life has to offer.

The good news is that slowly but surely this is happening. So far we have convinced 6 kids who usually work in the garbage dump, to play on a soccer team 3 afternoons a week. Those are two days they will not be exposed to evil but be surrounded by a team that encourages and challenged them. This is great news but we have so many more left.

2 comments:

k1 said...

Hope you are feeling better. See you this weekend.

Karen H

Chester Qualls said...

This is a great Blog, I have really enjoyed reading what you have to write and I also think you are doing a good job with the pictures on the site and making it look real clean as it also communicates what's going on. Of course I would also comment on the header graphic being so nice but that would just be vanity, everything below that is working out quite well. Keep up the good work.